Rhubarb Meringue Cake

The rhubarb in my garden was begging to be used this past weekend and so after looking on Pinterest for a little while, I decided on this recipe from She bakes here. The recipe turned out to be quite good, I really enjoyed it and I think Jacob thought it wasn't too bad for being a rhubarb recipe. The meringue was so good, I almost wanted to make another batch to just eat. I think they were best the day of as well.

Yummy!
Some things I did this time were:

  • I used a 17.25 inch x 11.5 inch cookie sheet, it was my largest one. The recommended size was 18 inch x 13 inch. Obviously, a smaller cookie sheet would create a thicker bar, so maybe next time I'll try that. But for the first time, the largest size I own was good. 
  • I appreciated how egg yolks were used in the cake part and the whites were used in the meringue. 
  • I think I baked it for probably around 50 minutes, I just kept an eye on the meringue color and I think I took it out at the right time. 

Rhubarb Meringue Cake

Makes: Whichever size pan you use

Time: Prep - 30 minutes
          Cooking - 40 - 45 minutes

Ingredients:

Cake
     4 egg yolks
     2 cups flour
     1/2 cup sugar
     1 tsp baking powder
     Pinch of salt
     3/4 cup butter or margarine
Meringue
     4 egg whites
     1 1/2 cups sugar
     5 cups finely chopped rhubarb

Steps:
  1. Preheat your oven to 350*F and lightly grease your cookie sheet or baking pan.* If you haven’t separated your yolks from your egg whites, you should do that now (you will use 4 eggs in total).
  2. In a large mixing bowl, beat together egg yolks and a splash of cold water. Continue beating and add flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Using a pastry cutter, cut in butter/margarine until a fine crumb remains. Press the crumbly mixture into your prepared cookie sheet or baking pan and set aside.
  3. Beat egg whites until foamy. Add sugar and continue beating until the mixture is thick and slightly stiff (the meringue should double, if not triple in volume). Stir in finely chopped rhubarb and spread the meringue over the unbaked cake.
  4. Bake for 40-45 minutes until the top of the meringue is a light brown colour. Remove from oven and let cool before slicing into squares. Best eaten the same day, and any leftovers must be stored in the fridge. Careful not the stack the squares as the meringue will stick.
EAT

Comments

Popular Posts