Lemon Blueberry Muffins

So, a blog...never thought I'd be attempting this. I write plenty of engineer's reports and emails but not sure I'm qualified for this ๐Ÿ˜

My first contribution is something rather simple but it was the only thing I've made recently that I had a picture of. It's hard to go wrong I think with a blueberry muffin but the reason I liked these so much was they were extremely moist and the topping was something I've never tried before.

The recipe comes from the Americas Test Kitchen Cooking for Two Cookbook, see below: Bear in mind, this recipe book is geared around cooking for two people so it only yields 4 muffins, although I think I ended up with about 6. 


Lemon Sugar Topping
  • 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
  • 1/4 teaspoon lemon zest
Muffins
  • 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1/4 cup granulated sugar
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1/8 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/8 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 cup whole milk or plain yogurt
  • 1 egg room temperature
  • 1/4 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
  • 3 tablespoons unsalted butter melted and cooled
  • 1/2 cup blueberries 
Instructions
Topping
  1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees and prepare muffin tins. Mix the sugar and zest together, set aside. 
Muffins
  1. Whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl. Separately whisk egg, yogurt/milk and lemon zest till smooth and fold into flour mixture, until just combined. Add melted butter and blueberries. 
  2. Place batter in prepared tins and sprinkle with topping. Bake until golden, 20-24 minutes. 

I just used the zest of a whole lemon and divided equally. Definitely thought these were some of the best I've made and will make again. 

I decided this picture and any other pictures I take to put on here will be purposefully unstaged lol. Not to put down any of the other contributors here but I just thought it'd be a good way to show how my kitchen can look after I've baked/cooked. I have an awesome husband that will often clean it for me and my style is usually helter skelter because I'm usually juggling other things or trying to watch my daughter who is 4 months old. I've honestly even fed her before while baking haha. So let's just be real, I'm not going to clean one section of my for a photo. Fun tip tho - the blueberries stained my laminate countertops ๐Ÿ˜ž so there ya go...



Also, here's my daughter for scale and reference ----


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts