Hummus

My favorite cookbook supplied this recipe, The Haven's Kitchen Cooking School by Alison Cayne. Essential recipes and concepts conveyed in a beautiful manner. I originally got this from the library and asked for it this past Christmas and thankfully received it. I had been craving hummus but didn't decide to make any until I went to the grocery store and saw the sweet peppers and cucumbers were on sale. Then I walked to the discount section and saw pita chips on sale and that was it.

Also, hummus is easy and relatively cheap, I don't know why I don't make it myself every time I'm craving it.

Some things I would change next time:

  • The recipe called for 2-4 cloves of garlic, and she said that the more garlic lovers should use 4. Obviously, I used 4 then. I would say next time I should use 3 cloves haha. 
  • I had to add some water to help thin it out a little and not measuring anything, but it came out perfect besides that one alteration. 
  • It called for 1 cup of dried garbanzos to soak overnight and such. Maybe in the future I'll do that but this time I used one can of beans and it seemed fine. 
  • This called for a food processor to combine, but I used a blender because I have used one for hummus before in the past and cleaning the blender is much easier than the food processor. I dumped everything in all at once and that was it. 
Hummus

Makes: about 3 cups

Time: 10 minutes

Ingredients:

     1 cup dried garbanzos
     Fine sea salt
     2 to 4 garlic cloves
     1/2 cup tahini
     Juice of 1 lemon
     1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
     1/4 to 1/2 cup cold water
     Optional garnishes: a drizzle of tahini, a large pinch of za'atar, aleppo pepper, or chopped fresh cilantro or parsley

Steps;
  1. Soak the garbanzos in about 4 cups of water at room temperature for at least 8 hours. 
  2. Drain and rinse the garbanzos and place in a medium saucepan. Cover with ample water and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook over medium-low heat until the garbanzos are soft and some are almost falling apart, about 1 hour. Remove from the heat, add a large pinch of salt, and let sit for 15 minutes. Drain. 
  3. In the bowl of a food processor fitted with the metal chopping blade, pulse the garlic until roughly chopped. Add the garbanzos and pulse until fine and crumbled, about 30 seconds, pushing down the sides with a spatula as needed. 
  4. Add the tahini, lemon juice, olive oil, and 1/4 cup water. Blend until smooth, about 3 minutes, adding more water and salt as needed. 
  5. Place the hummus in a serving bowl, drizzle with some olive oil, and top with garnishes of your choice if desired. 
  6. Store the hummus in an airtight container in the refrigerator if not serving immediately. 
EAT

Comments

Popular Posts